St. John XXIII Parish - Policy for Genealogy Requests
1) All requests must be made via mail with as much information as possible – i.e.: Full Name (names can be and were spelled many different ways), Birth Year (or as close to the year as possible) and any other information that may be helpful.
2) What Church the Sacrament (Marriage or Baptism or Death) took place in – St. Jerome’s, SS. Peter & Paul, St. Bartholomew’s or St. Bertha’s – please note that St. Jerome’s consolidated with SS. Peter & Paul in 2014 and St. Bartholomew and St. Bertha in 2008.
3) Each Sacrament Record request will cost $25 a piece – check made out to: St. John XXIII Parish.
4) Death Records: Due to a Fire at St. Jerome's Rectory, there are No Cemetery / Death Records available until after the 1940’s.
5) Requests will take approx. 8 to 12 weeks to be filled out due to the volume of requests plus the time that needs for the research.
The books, from the 1800 to early 1900, are handwritten in Latin and the ink has faded in spots. The books are extremely brittle.
So, there is no guarantee that all the proper information is available or even readable; however, a proper search will be done to the best of the researcher’s ability and the requester will be notified either way.
Cemetery Update: We are currently updating our Cemetery Records. We have finished going through St. Jerome's Cemetery - stone by stone. The Cemetery work has been put on hold.
Requests can be mailed to:
St. John XXIII Parish
Attn: Office Coordinator
266 W. Broad Street
Tamaqua, PA 18252
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the office at 570-225-7410.
Other Places that may be able to help with a Search:
The Tamaqua Public Library:
To obtain copies of a Birth or Death Certificate:
Rep. Jerry Knowles Office
237 W. Broad Street
Tamaqua, PA 18252
General Information of Tamaqua Area: